Save Energy, Money And The Planet Every Day. Simple Steps Make A Difference
At a time of record-high energy prices and increased attention to global warming, nearly everyone is looking for ways to save energy, save money on utility bills, and help to protect the environment.
Here are simple actions you can take this Earth Day, and all year round, recommended by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
1. Look for products that have earned the Energy Star® for energy efficiency. Energy Star-qualified products prevent greenhouse gas emissions by meeting strict energy efficiency criteria. The Energy Star label comes on more than just appliances-look for the government-backed symbol on electronics, lighting, ceiling fans, dehumidifiers, room and central air conditioners, and many other products.
2. Replace your five most frequently used lights, or the bulbs in them, with energy-efficient, compact fluorescent models that have earned the Energy Star. This action alone will save you a year.
3. Cool your home smartly-Get your cooling system ready for summer by cleaning or replacing air filters, and having a contractor do a preseason checkup in the spring. Proper maintenance keeps your system running at peak performance and can help you save energy dollars this summer.
4. Seal up your home-Adequate insulation and home sealing can help you save on cooling bills and improve your home’s overall comfort when it’s hot outside.
5. Share these tips with friends and family. Help spread the word that energy efficiency is good for our homes and the environment.
Most people don’t realize that the average household can be responsible for nearly twice the greenhouse gas emissions as the average car. These simple steps will help you save energy and money, while also contributing to a better environment for your family and community.